Monday, July 20, 2009

Zoës Kitchen Review

Zoës Kitchen feels like something out of a Scandinavian country, with IKEA-type of furniture, vivid spring wall colors, and staff who wears khaki shorts to work (though I'm not sure folks in Scandinavia really do). This eatery, right off Shepherd and 59S, might be missed by those just passing by. However, good luck finding parking! Zoës Kitchen is almost certainly packed for lunch.

Just like its minimalist decor, don't expect too much from the menu of this chain eatery. Everything there is simple, but it doesn't mean it's not good. Zoës Kitchen is all about health conscious stuff. Think olives, pita bread, tuna salad, etc. It's mediterranean food meets contemporary chic. And, it's apparently where lots of good-looking people gather to eat, too.

However, my experience at Zoës Kitchen started off on the wrong foot. After getting my pick-up number, all the tables were taken, except for one which hadn't been cleaned yet. I set my stuff on that table, waiting for someone to clear it out. With no luck, I decided to take matters into my own hands (even though I dislike cleaning up after people I don't know). Immediately after, a lady came over to wipe the table, but I had pretty much done all the work.

However, however, such small incidents don't discourage me from what could be a good place to munch away. And, when my Chicken Quesadilla arrived, I have to admit I was pretty happy. This quesadilla was different. The dough was made of pita bread and it was nice and warm. Inside there was spinach, chicken and feta cheese. It also came with a side of fruit, salsa and sour cream. These last two condiments were much needed. The pita makes everything really dry.

And, that's exactly what my co-worker, Ricky, a graphic designer, said about his order. He had the Tuna Salad Wrap with a side of rice pilaf and jalapeño cheese (which looked like a mountain of play dough). He stole my salsa and smeared it all over his wrap. Apparently, though, he said his food tasted really good, especially the rice. (However, notice his shirt says "obey propaganda").

We both ended up spending about $11 each with drinks.

Using my rating system of BURP=delish!, GULP=pretty good, and BARF=yuk, Zoës Kitchen gets a GULP!

Zoës Kitchen
3701 South Shepherd
Houston, TX 77098
(713) 522-7447

1 comment:

  1. Hi Henry, the thing you missed there was the corn dish with cream and spices on it. It's my favorite part of the meal there.

    ReplyDelete