Friday, July 10, 2009

Aka Sushi House Review

After hearing about how packed Aka Sushi House gets during happy hour on Thursdays, my best friend and I decided to check it out for ourselves. His reasoning was not to savor the happy hour prices on appetizers, but to take pleasure in looking at the college hotties who allegedly hang out at this place.

The idea behind the whole happy hour concept is that you're supposed to take advantage of how cheap prices can get. The happy hour section of the menu is like a list of "japanese tapas," in which items are served in small plates and come in items no more than you can count your fingers in one hand. Plate prices range from $3 and up.

Disappointed at the unfulfilled premise of college hotties packing and roaming around the restaurant (it was a normal crowd of what looked like young professionals), my friend ordered a Spider Roll and a Sashimi plate.

Of course, I had to pig out and went for the kill. I ordered several things: My favorite was the Beef Carpaccio, which I had two of those. For those who don't know, carpaccio is raw meat. I am very anti raw anything. However, the Beef Carpaccio at Aka Sushi House is bathed in a peppered vinaigraitte that's very hard to resist. My friend begged to differ.

My second favorite dish must have been the Firecracker Shrimp. This is very typical of Chinese cuisine in which they smear the shrimp with mayo. Very yummy! It kind of tasted like popcorn shrimp.

My third favorite dish was the Basil Chicken Wings. This had a kick and it was very spicy!

And last, my favorite dish was the Baked Mussles with cheese. I'm not really into mussles either, but these were OK.

Overall, it was a nice place with reasonable happy hour prices. We spent about $36 for two people, including two iced teas. Using my rating system of BURP=delish!, GULP=pretty good, and BARF=yuk, I'd say this place gets a GULP!

2390 W Alabama St.
Houston, TX 77098
(713) 807-7875




















No comments:

Post a Comment