Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Empire Café Review

Hidden behind bushes and parked vehicles is one of the shrouded gems of the Westheimer Curve. Empire Café feels like a hub where artists, writers, and wretched poets would gather to discuss passions and politics over coffee and cigarrettes. But this artsy-fartsy café is much more than that, it's a place where you can get lunch.
Having been there several times to stuff my face with pasta, I had arrived there with a different kind of appetite. I wanted to try more of a poor man's meal. I decided to go for what seemed like the logical option when you just want a bite. I went astray from my usual and got the Soup and Sandwich combo (OK, maybe this would require a couple of bites rather than just one).

My intern and I sat outside in the patio to enjoy the outdoors, and not necessarily the view (it's just passing cars). As we waited in a table under the shade, we noticed the mixed crowd of people who eat at this ecclectic eatery- and let me tell you, it was far from my romantic vision of philosophers. This crowd was rather much more realistic, with folks in business attire or trendy Emo-getup. However, the one thing that remain true to my vision was the smell of cigarrette smoke, as the guy sitting next to us slowly burned one in his mouth. Ugh!

By the time our food had arrived, the smell of smoke had instantly dissipated. I could smell the soup... an extravangant Tomato Basil. This soul warming consommé instantly made me sweat (because it was already really hot outside). I don't really like tomato, but I'm a sucker for tomato basil soup and Empire Café is one of a few places in town which makes a really good cup!

Then, there was the sandwich: breaded chicken, provolone cheese, tomato, and bacon?!! on ciabatta-batta (an insider joke) bread. It tasted like it should be illegal. My intern had ordered the same thing, but she said hers was too buttery. I ate the whole thing.

Considering I was going for a poor man's meal, I spent about $11 on this plate, plus an iced tea. Using my rating system of BURP=delish!, GULP=pretty good, and BARF=yuk, I'd say this place gets a GULP!


1732 Westheimer Rd.
Houston, TX 77098
(713) 528-5282





No comments:

Post a Comment